Spring is officially here, and communities across Greater Vancouver are getting ready to celebrate Earth Day!
Fresh air, pollinators, recycling, parades and tree planting galore – there’s something to inspire the young and young at heart.
Here is a list of 5 options across the Lower Mainland for great family Earth Day celebrations.
Check the websites for schedules before heading out to make sure you don’t miss out on the fun!
Here are some easy was to green up your Earth Day celebrations:
- leave your car at home – take public transit or make it a family fun day out on your bikes!
- be sure to bring (& use) your reusable water bottles and travel mugs
- pack a litterless lunch / snack to keep you fueled for your day
Celebrate Earth Day (Vancouver)
Address: Commercial and Broadway
Hours: Saturday, April 21st, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Highlights: Parade begins at Commercial & Broadway at 1pm, festival continues at Grandview Park 2:00 to 5:00 pm. Family-friendly event & youth from the across the Lower Mainland are welcome & encouraged to come.
Party For the Planet (Surrey)
Address: Plaza at City Hall 13450 104th Ave, Surrey
Hours: Saturday, April 14, 2018
10:00am to 6:00pm
Highlights: Exhibitors, live shows including performances by Bobs & LoLo and Sam Roberts. Check out exotic animals at the Urban Safari Rescue Society, the adventure zone and plant sale.
Earth Day Bird Tour (Vancouver)
Address: UBC Botanical Garden, 6804 SW Marine Drive
Hours: Sunday, April 22, 2018 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Highlights: Bring your family outside and learn about migration, birds and biodiversity. Discover the best bird watching hotspots in our 80-acre garden located on the edge of the Pacific Ocean. Take a walk with our Garden Guides to learn about how our amazing collection of plants supports the migration of our fine feathered friends along British Columbia’s Pacific Flyway. Get some fresh air as a family and enjoy a guided walk through Vancouver’s oldest demonstration Food Garden, our Alpine collection and the Carolinian Forest.
Notes: Bring your binoculars for a closer look at birds.
Earth Day Crafternoon (North Vancouver)
Address: 120 West 14th St.
3rd Floor Program Room
Hours: Saturday, April 21, 2018, 1:30 – 3:30pm
Add funk to your indoor or outdoor garden by painting rocks. Add a word, a design, or turn your rock into a character during NVCL’s upcoming Earth Day Crafternoon. Join Denise from Thrifty By Design for an afternoon of making. Materials will be supplied.
All ages and skill levels are welcome. No registration required.
Earth Day Celebration (Vancouver)
Address: Kitsilano Beach
Hours: Saturday, 21 APRIL 2018, 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM PDT | Free
Highlights: Celebrate the earth and Stanley Park Ecology Society’s 30th birthday at our Earth Day party in Stanley Park! Enjoy some sweet treats, free walks and activities, or get your hands dirty to keep our Park looking sharp.
- Stop by the Stanley Park Nature House between 12:00pm to 4:00pm where the fun will begin. Embrace your inner environmentalist at an invasive species plant pull or help get some native plants in the ground.
- Prefer to enjoy the sights and sounds of the Park? Join in on a free walk to explore the Heron colony (register here) or get a glimpse of our conservation efforts up close on a walk featuring the challenges and successes of restoration in urban parks.
- Wander among the exhibitor tables for family-friendly activities from our sponsors and community groups. Festivities kick off at the Nature House viewing platform at 12:00pm, tools and treats provided!