Looking for a way to use up leftover chicken or turkey? These BBQ Chicken Calzones are a quick & easy way to change things up!
This is one of our easy go-to meals when it comes to using up leftover turkey or chicken a little bit of meat goes a long way and it is usually very different in flavor than whatever we had for the original meal. This is key for leftovers, use the same ingredient in a new and exciting way.
You will need pizza dough for this recipe. We prefer a whole wheat dough for calzones as it adds to the satisfying flavour, but you could use white dough if you prefer. You can often buy premade pizza dough at your supermarket but we will be using our dough recipe from our Family Pizza Night. It’s easy & can be made with whole wheat flour, white flour or half and half. Be careful when using whole wheat, you may need to add a bit more water as the flour will absorb more. go by feel, you don’t want the dough to be too sticky but not too dry either.
You will also need, turkey or chicken ( you could also use tofu), cilantro, red onion, pizza sauce, bbq sauce and mozzarella cheese.
BBQ Chicken Calzones
Cook time: 10-15 min,
prep time: < 10 minutes with 1hr rising time for the dough if making from scratch
1 pizza dough (not a pizza base or shell, you need to be able to fold the dough over the filling. However these same ingredients make a fantastic pizza if you only have a pizza base)
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 cup bbq sauce
1 cup pizza sauce
1-2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- In a medium bowl combine the BBQ sauce and Pizza sauce & stir. Adjust to your taste.
- Chop the cilantro, slice the onion and grate the cheese.
- Place the dough in a flattened ball shape on a well-floured surface & divide it into 6 pieces.
- Take one of the dough pieces and roll into a circle about 1/8 inch thick. Cover the others with a cloth.
- Spoon some sauce onto one half of the circle being careful to leave 3/4 of an inch around the edge with no sauce. (This will be for sealing the calzone.)
- Top the sauce with some meat, onion, cilantro then cheese, being careful not to overload.
- Fold the dough over the filling and pinch to seal the edges.
- Starting at one end, twist the edge of the dough over itself in one-inch sections pressing down as you go all the way to the other end. This will reinforce the seal. If this is too difficult carefully use a fork to press the edges together without puncturing the dough.
- Carefully cut 2 small vents holes in the top of the calzone to let the steam escape. This will help the edges to not blow out while cooking.
- Transfer the calzone to a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
- Repeat with the rest of the pieces of dough.
- Place in the oven on the baking sheet and bake for approx. 15 minutes depending on the thickness of your crust. They should be nice and golden and sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the oven & place on a wire cooling rack for 2 -5 minutes to keep the crust nice & crisp.
- Enjoy but be aware that they will be VERY hot inside !!